The dream act essay. The concept
Essay on the American dream – perhaps one of the most profound and interesting topics to write an essay. It is also very popular among school assignments. So, what is the definition for the American Dream and how we will structure the essay body paragraphs?
It is assumed that the American dream is something like the ideal life, including prosperity and success for every United States resident. Generally it is. You can safely use this concept and build your work around this idea. But we would like to offer you to look deeper and analyze the process of American Dream outline as a phenomenon and mention, its history. All these observations you may add to your essay.
Start your American dream essay intro from:
Initially, the US by Europeans eyes was amazing country where democracy prevails instead of monarchy, where there were no classes divisions but civic society. There was also the freedom of conscience and tolerance of one denomination to another, which was the absolute plus. Thus, the American had unprecedented freedom for the rest of the world. Therefore, the United States were called – “the land of freedom” in the 19th century.
First officially introduced the concept of the American Dream was made by James Adams in his book The Epic of America in 1931. In this book, Adams gave the definition of American dream as the country where everyone lives well, where everyone has the opportunity to fulfil his/her potential and to extract from the maximum benefit form life. And it is worth noting that the United States had everything necessary to make this dream become true. Vast natural resources that are still unknown, efficient economy, convenient geographical location, away from the
However, you need to note in your essay that there is still no clear definition for the “American Dream”. Every US citizen invests his or her own ideas about the perfect future. We recommend you to finish your introduction with the statement of concretely what your particular “American Dream” is. Moreover, you can not to stay and limited with the only one thesis. Include in your dream for instance 3 ideals:
- Individual freedom and free enterprise;
- The «self-made person». The person who work hard to succeed in life by his own.
- Reputation and the process of transition from one social class to another, higher, of course.
Add supporting details with explanation
Don’t forget to pull your reader in with a hook which will make it almost impossible for your reader to put down the paper. We presume that some interesting facts about the American Dream concept history and evolution would be enough.
By the way, one of such interesting and may be outrageous facts cam be the common USSR anti-American propaganda, during the Cold War, which promoted American dream as nothing more than the absorption of hamburgers, popcorn and Coke in movie theatres or other public places.
American dream essays body
Use the body of my American dream essay to disclose the specialities of your concept views. You can give for example a few examples of people who did accomplish something great. Your point would be more powerful, if this person realize his/her dream against all odds. For example, Steve Jobs came from a poor family and he created one of the most expensive companies. And that was his American Dream!
Secondly, you can touch upon such a specific topic as the hardships in other countries where it is not possible to dream or to have a passion, let alone do something great. The so-called Third World countries. Nevertheless, it is a big and complex subject and to touch it is up to you, because this issue may be given in individually other essay.
Anyway, while disclosing your topic keep the line between your views on the concept of the American dream and generally accepted. Emphasize that for many people this concept is a kind of standard of happiness in a consumer society. Although, many Americans identify the dream with their own house, which was built on their own income on their own land with a large courtyard, car, a big happy family and friendly neighbours. And still one of the main symbols of the American dream is the Statue of Liberty in New York.
In your essay conclusion, you can quote the words of David Brooks: “Americans live their lives dreaming about the future. To understand America, you need to serious about the central cliché of American life – the American dream. Despite the fact that we are faced with boredom and banality of everyday life, this dream revives us, gives us strength and makes us work so much, move as often as actively invent and change something rapidly. We continue to strive for new and unusual, even though it does not always bring us the benefit and pleasure.”
Perhaps there is a perception that each essay should be finished with a bang. But here, in this case we would like to keep you from making explosive theories and conclusions. Remember that American Dream for many, is like faith, as the commitment to a kind of perfection. Your conclusion should briefly sum up everything you wrote about and don’t quote too much, if possible. Don’t confuse your reader with some new material; remember about your thesis statement and the facts above.
One more thing: your last sentence in this essay should be well-written, even better written than most. It should inspire the same faith and confidence which our ancestors walked through the history on the way to their goal, their dreams. Let this purpose will be material wealth and for someone, but for another it is struggle for spiritual independence. Everyone has the right for his own and her personal American Dream.
7 easy steps to write correctly: the American Dream Essay
- Disclose the definition of the American Dream for yourself first;
- To expand your knowledge on this issue – read history literature and explore the appropriate sources.
- Capture your audience attention using interesting history facts regarding the American Dream concept evolution;
- Provide some background information but don’t go too deep, for this purpose we have a body;
- Explain its meaning.
Think up your main thesis
- my vision of classic American Dream definition is…
- I believe that the American Dream evolution was…
- the American Dream for me is.
- Narrow your intro and finish it with your thesis statement.
- Divide your essay body into TWO body paragraphs and stories;
- Your first story can be about some few peoples who did accomplish something great and reached their own American Dream;
- Your second body paragraph can describe and fully disclose your main thesis statement with all necessary facts and arguments.
- Discuss your both stories chosen to prove thesis and add one more short but key paragraph where you will compare and contrast these two stories.
- Restate your American Dream essay thesis.
- Use just one but keen phrase (quote) which will attract your audience.
- Writing American Dream essay make impressive conclusion but don’t make brain explosion for your reader.
Good luck with your essay! And follow us